Thursday, October 17, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

"Millennials (also called Generation Y or the echo boomers). Born between 1977 and 2000, these children of the baby boomers number 83 million, dwarfing the Gen Xers and larger even than the baby boomer segment. This group includes several age cohorts: tweens (aged 9–12), teens (13–18), and young adults (19–32). With total purchasing power of more than $733 billion, the Millennials make up a huge and attractive market." (Armstrong/Kotler)

"...many people believe that we are quite misbehaved, but in fact all youth risk behaviors have decreased over the last fifteen years, including drug use, teen pregnancy, and youth violence. Furthermore, we are very close to our families, especially our parents. Family is very important to Millennials, so much so in fact that a 2010 Pew Research Center survey found that the number one goal of the majority of Millennials is "to be a good parent."(themillieniallegacy.com)


 My upbringing is similar to the second article. I was raised different than the average stereo-typed millennial kid. I had both of my parents in the home and they raised me with manners and discipline. I never was a "bad" kid. Granted, I did some bad things but that is all apart of growing up. I also learned from these things, thanks to my parents. The family characteristic of millennial is spot on for me. I love my family dearly, I hurt when they hurt. However, from the people I know in this generation, most want to be a good parent because they didn't have the best. Me, on the other hand, I'd be grateful to be just as good as of a parent that my parents were, let alone be better than them.

No comments:

Post a Comment